Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wedding Weekend - Round two - and More! (Much more haha)

Well I'm a little behind on my posts, I apologize...I guess traveling and working do that to you sometimes! I followed a Docherty family wedding with a Boddicker family (mom's side) wedding the next weekend back in good old Iowa City. Though a little delayed both ways, I made my first full "non-rev" trip, so that was a nice success! (Special thanks to my wonderful cousin Alyssa who picked me up at the airport late Friday night:) Rain turned our pre-wedding pool day into a BBQ at Dustin's house, and it turned out great! Fun to have everyone there all together for the first time.

My cousin Mike and Danie had a wonderful ceremony at the Newman Center and then headed to a huge celebration barn for the reception. They had a live band there that played lots of classics and kept everyone dancing the whole night...no surprise there with our family! haha.
What a good-lookin crew:)

Ha love Dad and Mark in this one!

The reception barn ceiling...beautiful!

Sunday was nice to relax a little since I had a late flight back to Atlanta. I got Dad out with me for my walk/run and revisited the Iowa cross country course for part of it! Then we had a group of over 20 people over at Grandma's (just the average crowd:) to watch the Women's World Cup Championship game...exciting despite the loss!

Besides wedding's I've been keeping busy during the week with lots of 10+ hour days, but trying to find a little better balance and routine, so that I am not so sleep deprived haha. It's amazing how fast time flies! But that usually means you're having fun right?! I've ventured out some more in Atlanta, going to this Taste of East Atlanta Village one Thursday evening with my friend Donna. It was pretty sweet...there were a bunch of restaurants on the two main streets that were offering "tastes" for only $1 each, so we got quite a tasty dinner! And dessert...there was an ice cream place that we had to go to of course:) Some of my favorites were places called Holy Taco and Urban Cannibals...fabulous food. We also found a fun vintage shop - Eclectic Gal - with a great owner who let us in after hours!
Holy Taco stand

Urban Cannibals Bodega and Bites

I also got to have dinner with a former Iowa Track teammate, miss Raven:), who was back visiting family in Atlanta...so fun to catch up! Another night featured a Happy Hour with several co-workers at The Sound Table in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood, where I had this amazing "Cece Fritos" (fried chickpeas) appetizer with a mix of curry salt, sugar, lemon, and crispy capers...so unexpected but so good. Last weekend I went out with a few girls from work to a bar called Ormsby's, that was multi-level and had a ton of games to play (pool, air hockey, skee ball!, bocce ball, etc) that definitely kept people entertained! We took on another group in bocce ball and dominated haha.
The playing field



Sunday I became an official member of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens haha...it was so expensive a membership almost paid for itself in another visit, so if anyone wants to go let me know! But they were beautiful, so definitely worth it. I went with a few girls and we spent a couple hours wandering the many gardens, having lunch in the cafe, and even watching a chef food demo! Picture taking was extensive, but here is a small preview:
A small waterfall!

Great city view in the background

Stunning orchid wall

A sort of gingered bean stir fry cooking demo

Let's see...I've also had a couple Saturday slow-pitch softball games at Piedmont Park...one we got crushed:( But the other we tied an undefeated team, so that was a little better...good fun nonetheless:) And lastly, this weekend I did some major cleaning and to-do's around my apartment, so that is always good to get done...makes me feel productive haha. Saturday evening I went to a luau BBQ, where I introduced everyone to the great Midwest "Scotchie" bar (Scotcharoo's to some - the delish rice crispy bar, but with peanut butter and chocolate)...I couldn't believe NO ONE had every had one before!! They loved them of course:) After we went out to the bar/restaurant Front Page News in Midtown, which had a great patio and a live band in the upstairs! I did some cooking/baking this weekend too...yay for homemade granola:)
Outdoor patio at my friend Amanda's (far left) place 

And new friends! (Jenni and Jessica)

Band playing upstairs...some good tunes too! (even some of the classic 90's I love:)

Front Page News

Homemade Vanilla Almond Granola...yummmm

Well that is all for now...should be enough to keep you reading for a while haha. I will try not to wait so long next time! I'm still loving Atlanta, but of course love and miss you all!! xo Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment